Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Parting ways..

Metropolol 

And I have parted ways!  I felt like it was causing my extreme fatigue and since the need to take it wasn't medically necessary, why continue?  I was taking it for the heart palpitations I was experiencing since just before my diagnosis.  They were very annoying and that is why I decided to try the drug.  Hey, it worked. My palps stopped.  I've taken it for just about 9 months.  

I felt like my brain wasn't getting any oxygen.  My heart rate was very low (usually low 50's or less) so how could my brain be getting the O2 it needed?  I did not stop taking it before asking my oncologist.  I asked the nurse when I went in for my last Sandostatin shot and he came out to talk to me.  I think he was a little concerned when I told him just how tired I was.  I don't think he thinks it's the metoprolol, as I was on the lowest dose but since stopping two week ago, I am feeling much better! I am still tired but I don't feel like my brain isn't able to function.   

I think they (the palpitations) were caused by the Carcinoid tumors in my liver producing high serotonin levels (part of Carcinoid Syndrome) and since most of my bigger tumors have been removed (surgically) and my labs have come down, then I probably don't have a lot of circulating serotonin in my blood. Hopefully, they will not return (and this will confirm my suspicion--it will also give me a "heads-up" if they come back down the road).  I have blood work due the end of this month so I'm going to ask them to add a serotonin blood test as well (just to see where I'm at now).  

I am going in to see my OBGYN in two weeks for my follow-up to my failed ablation.  I think the fibroid she found and removed was causing my bleeding issue as I am no longer bleeding.  Woot, woot.  I am so glad.  I hope it never returns.  I really didn't want to have to have a hysterectomy so I am happy!

My blood test results will determine "next steps" as in when my next scan will be.  If my tumor markers remain unchanged then we'll wait until Jan/Feb or ever later.  I'm sure if they are climbing, I'll get one sooner.  I don't expect any changes.  I'm hoping to continue to feel better and gain more energy so that I can finally start working out again.  I think it would really help me mentally.

Thanks for listening!  I'll post an update after my next round of labs!



No comments:

Post a Comment