Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Surgery is likely

My appointment yesterday went very well.  I really like my Oncologist.  He was very impressed with Dr. Kim, the liver surgeon.  After much discussion and weighing the pros and cons I am going to go ahead with the surgery (pending approval from my insurance company of course).  My oncologist even said that if it were him, he would do it.  He also said there is no big rush.  I don't have to have it next week but should probably not wait too long.  I'm thinking mid to late March at the earliest.  I could wait but I don't want to because I know I will just get more and more anxious about it.  He said it is a HUGE surgery and will take me probably 3 months to get feeling more "normal".  He said it only takes about 2-3 weeks for the liver to regenerate but your body just sucks all your energy and calories to fueling that process and the "affects" can last for up to 3 months.  He said since I am young (fairly) and healthy (other than having CANCER), I should not have any complications but of course, there are no guarantees!

I found this picture of a liver.  I will be having my right lobe removed, which is where my biggest tumors are.

It's a little daunting to look at how big the right lobe is compared with the left.  I'm a little nervous and of course, hope I am making the right decision.  Also, this is not a cure. It is a way to hopefully get 5 to 10 more years added on to my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment