Thursday, February 14, 2013

Insurance approval and random thoughts...

I called my Nurse Case Manager at my insurance company to see if they had approved my surgery.  I had a nightmare that I checked-in and they told me my insurance hadn't approved it so they wouldn't do it!  Well, she said it was all "approved".

I now have to figure out how to come up with my deductible and co-pay for the year!  $3,000 total.  Barf.    I'm still paying off last years (which was in July).  I still don't understand why we had "open enrollment" in June to pick a new plan and then our plan year is Jan-Dec.  I will have paid a total of $7,000 since June of 2012.  I had switched insurance companies in July so my June colonoscopy and CT Scan went to my old insurance company deductible and out-of-pocket and then my surgery, which was July 2nd, went to my new insurance company deductible and out-of-pocket.  I know a lot of people have much higher deductibles and co-pays so I try not to complain.  I'm worried the hospital is going to want $1,000 up front before my surgery.  I know they will ask but I won't have to give it to them.  I was told to ask for a discount anyway.  I have CANCER and they are a CANCER Hospital so they can offer discounts, right?  That's why we donate to cancer associations and hospitals (I have).

I have added a DONATE button on my blog but I feel so weird asking people for money.  If you feel like donating to my medical expenses, please use this button.  I will only use any money donated to pay for said medical expenses.   I've really been thinking about re-homing my horse, Abbie.  I don't want to.  Riding is like my therapy and I've now owned a horse for 25 years! 1/2 of my life.  It would put a huge hole in my heart to not have her in it but I feel that perhaps it would be the best thing to do.  I had two horses until my diagnosis last year.  It has cost me so much, this cancer of mine.  I sold my "Cocoa" to a jumper trainer who had her "leased" to a 13 year old girl who has since bought her.  I know she has a great owner who loves her very much and that is the only reason I don't feel too bad about having to sell her.  I sold her for pennies, really.  The same amount that we paid for her as a yearling! She was 9 when I sold her.

 I do get alimony for another year.  It is only enough to pay for my car and auto insurance.  I do not know what I'll do when it runs out as my car will not be paid for until 2016.  Unfortunately, I got rear-ended two weeks after I bought it so the value has gone way down for resale (even though his insurance paid to have it fixed, it means the car has been "damaged").

Anyway, surgery is on the schedule for the 21st.  I have to call the day before between 2 and 5pm to find out what time I have to be there.  I hope its not really early nor late in the day.  I hate waiting.

Send me some good vibes, energy, prayers--whatever you believe in.  I am feeling positive about this and am confident everything will go well.

Cheers!


4 comments:

  1. As if you’re not going through a lot already with your condition, you’ve had to add those figures to your list of burdens. I hope your insurance got approved, so the cost of all your medical procedures don’t leave you broke, and that you recuperated well from your surgery. Stay positive, Sharon!

    Stacey Neal @ Romero Ins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacey! I'm doing well. Still paying off that darn out-of-pocket max from last year but it "could be worse!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about looking at the bright side of things. I guess your optimism is just one of the things that will help you get through this ordeal. I hope that you make a full recovery soon. Keep the good vibes going! Cheers!

    Joshua Duncan @ Focus Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to hear that your insurance was approved. Though it’s unfortunate that you need to re-home Abbie. It is sad how cancer takes away the time where we could be having fun with the people that we love, and doing the things that we enjoy doing. Stay strong and never lose hope, Sharon!

    Steven Keltsch @ Allied Insurance Managers

    ReplyDelete