Tuesday, September 3, 2013

50/50

My procedure was 50% successful!  I guess I could also say it was 50% unsuccessful but I'm trying to be positive.  One positive is that i came through it without any evidence of carcinoid crisis.

I did have a fibroid tumor, which on the pathology report say's "submucosal leiomyoma", a rarer type of fibroid (5%) that grows into the inner cavity of the uterus and can cause... irregular bleeding!  It may be the reason I was bleeding all along.  Now, why did she seem surprised I had a fibroid when it said I did on my cat scan done in April?  Well, it didn't mention it on my scan I had in July.  I need to go back and read that report. However, after she removed the fibroid, she could not get the ablation device to deploy.  I'm not sure exactly how it deploys but I guess my uterus was done with her and said "hell no, you're not doing anything else to me today"!  She tried two devices (both worked outside the uterus) and neither would deploy in me. this is why I say my procedure was 50% successful!

On another good note, the pathology all came back with NO signs of cancer!  I was a little worried.  You just never know.

I have a follow-up appointment in 6 weeks.  She did say that if this doesn't stop my bleeding, I have two choices.

1. Live with it (not a very good choice).
2. Hysterectomy.

Not sure how I feel about another surgery.  I guess it would depend on how she would do it and how much work I'd have to miss.  It's actually more the "how much work would I miss", than the surgery issue.  I just have NO sick or vacation time to take this year.  I would definitely have to wait until next year to do anything.  I'm just going to have to wait and see...

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment