Friday, January 11, 2013

I miss my FJ!

Wow!  What a drive... we got major snow last night and today.  I had an FJ two years ago and I really, really missed her today!  Nothing like a true 4-Wheel Drive!

I debated all morning whether or not to postpone my appointment with the surgeon.  I even called his scheduler to check on both the weather/road conditions and if they wanted me to go have a scan before I saw the doctor.  She said that yes, the roads were bad and many people had cancelled but no, I didn't need the scan before seeing the doc since they had all my records and previous scans.  I should have waited anyway.

He looks very young.  I almost asked him if he was old enough to drink.  That's how young he looks.  He is probably a child progeny.  Not quite Doogie Howser but close!

He told me absolutely nothing that I didn't know already.  He needs a good scan to make any decisions and he didn't like either of mine--quality wise!  I wish they would have just told me to go get the scan first and then come see him.   They set my scan (tri-phasic CT) for Monday morning.  The good part is I picked up the contrast while I was there so I don't have to show up 90 minutes early to drink it!  I can drink it in the morning and while driving up there.  I do hope the snow stops and it isn't as horrific as the drive today.  Dr. Kim said that after getting my scan looked at he will present my "case" to the tumor board.  That's a good thing, right?

We did discuss the different types of resection surgery.  They don't call it "debulking" any more.  I don't know why. I don't think I care.  My gut feeling is that since my tumors are so spread-out throughout my liver, they may not want to do major resection but then I'm not a surgeon.  He did say that if they can get most of the tumors out it can extend my life expectancy by 10 years (add 10, not give me 10).  Something I already had read about and saw a video presentation where it was mentioned (Dr. Pommier).  We don't know how long I have (my opinion here, not the doctors--we haven't discussed this part).  Could be 5, 10, 15...  there just isn't anyway to know yet.  I could possibly do nothing and be fine for 10 years.  Crazy, hu?

Well, it is four minutes to five and I'm trying to get out of here so I will close for now.  Will post more when I know more!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment