Tuesday, May 27, 2014

We lost Lindsey...

On Sunday I was at brunch with a friend. I checked my Facebook while waiting for our food and saw a post by another Carcinoid/NET patient that said Lindsey Miller of iamaliver.wordpress.com had passed away!  I was stunned.  Literally stunned. I couldn't write anything until today. I was so sad.  Sad for her and her family and friends.  She died one and one half day after having a "commitment" ceremony with the love of her life, Jeff, while in the hospital.  Lindsey hadn't blogged much lately. I was hoping it was because she was finding her new "normal".  Enjoying her new apartment and soft new comforter (from her blog post Jan.27, 2014).

I had followed Lindsey's blog (link on the right) since I saw her YouTube video of her proposing a date with the actor, Joseph Gordon-Levitt after seeing the movie 50/50.  Lindsey was only 28 years old! She was diagnosed in 2010 at the young, young, age of 25.

When asked by Inspire why she called herself a "liver" and her blog "i am a liver", this is what she said.

"The most common word terms that are used to describe people who have or have had cancer are “patient” or “survivor.” You don’t hear as often of people having chronic cancer--at least, I don’t. I am both a patient and a survivor, but I don’t want to call myself a patient forever because that sounds exhausting. And I don’t necessary feel comfortable with the term “survivor” either. I have been through chemo and surgery, and while I’ve survived through them, there’s no end in sight, so I don’t attach the same meaning to saying that I’m a survivor. So I prefer to say I’m a “liver,” as I’m just living my life with disease."


I, for one, will miss Lindsey.  Rest in Peace Lindsey Miller.  Below is the link to her video on YouTube.

5 comments:

  1. This is the hardest part of having cancer and using the online support groups. I get valuable information from the groups but become friends with a population of cancer survivors who usually have a shorter longevity than the regular population. It's the most depressing part of this journey. So sad because she was so young! Stay strong and hang in there Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Beth. My best to you as well (now and always)! I've said it is one of the good things about this cancer--getting to know people I would otherwise not know but it is also one of the hardest, saddest and most depressing (losing those new friends)!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sharon,
      ALso so saddened to hear of Lindsey's passing. So full of life in that video. I know her parents and boyfriend must be broken hearted. I am 51 and was diagnosed in Sept with mid-gut, unresectable, liver mets and really rely on the blogs of others to get through some days. I pray the best for you and your recent fatigue. Thanks so much, Sara B PS Horse lover here too. I had them all growing up and threatening my husband that I might get another one. I live in Michigan though, so I said if we move to Florida, I will get a horse.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for commenting Sara! We are the same age. Love to hear from another horse lover as well Sounds like our diagnosis is pretty much the same too but then again, we are all so different even with the same dx! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deeply saddened to learn of Lindsey's passing. We shared her blog, i am a liver, on the Carcinoid Cancer Foundation website and corresponded many times. Lindsey fought so bravely. She will be missed by all whose lives she touched and inspired.

    ReplyDelete