Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Results from Heart Monitor...finally!

I just got a call from my Oncologist!  I was surprised that he called me himself.  My palpitations are real (I was worried they would see nothing and think I was just crazy) but not dangerous!  Good news!  I was worried that if I start to have heart problems I would be unable to have cytoreduction of my liver tumors and/or the sir spheres... Whew.

We discussed possible causes, one of which is my thyroid.  I am hypo (underactive) but had it checked last March.  He suggested getting it checked again so I will ask the OBGYN on the 21st if she'll run it for me.  Also, I mentioned that this could be break-through carcinoid syndrome symptoms as I had these before my diagnosis and that they stopped after starting the Sandostatin LAR shots.  He thought it was possible so we're going to check my blood serum level of octreotide (Sandostatin).  I have to go in on Tuesday for my shot so we'll do a blood draw right before I get it.  Takes a couple of weeks to get results as these go to ISI (Interscience Institute) in California.  I should have asked him about sub-q shots for break-through symptoms but I felt I'd kept him on the phone long enough... We'll see if I need it when we get my levels back.  At least he's a willing doctor.  Not like some who have to fight for every test!  At least I know I'm not going to drop from a heart attack!


2 comments:

  1. Hello Sharon,

    I happened upon your blog. Writing about your journey fighting cancer can be cathartic. Keep fighting and always ask lots of questions and do not take no for an answer. I recently wrote a book about fighting cancer. You can take a look here: http://52daysthecancerjournal.com

    Keep fighting and keep blogging! Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jordan! I'll check out your book.

    ReplyDelete