Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy 2015!

I had one goal for 2014.  I'm not calling it a "resolution" because I had little control over it.  My goal? No major surgery!  Yup.  I made it.  Nothing major in 2014.  Only one minor procedure completely unrelated to cancer.  I'm not sure if I should set any goals for 2015.  I could keep with the same theme and probably be safe.


A few personal milestones in 2014.

  • I was laid-off from my job of 3 years after a cancer diagnosis and two surgeries.  This was after my boss told me they would do whatever necessary to support me.  Right.  Lay me off me and take my insurance away unless you sign this "release" that states you won't sue us! Blackmail?  You bet!  Stress?  Nah.  No stress there.
  • I got a job after 2 months.  It's a great job.  I like it a lot.  I actually work for an insurance company now.  Ironic?  I think so.  Oh, I also make more money than I did before (but my insurance costs me more and I had to switch around some doctors but not my oncologist).
  • Remained stable according to my blood work (last scan was in February, 2014 a few days after I was laid-off my job).  I have not had a scan since. 
  • Attended my first Dressage show with my horse Abbie.  We got a second place.  It was a really small show but I was proud of how well she handle the "show" atmosphere.  It was her second show ever.  
Up in 2015: What's next?
  • Bloodwork scheduled for next week.  I'm not expecting any changes.  I still feel good with no carcinoid syndrome symptoms.  I do have a lot of headaches but this could be from the Sandostatin or it may be my sinus's.  I'm calling a doctor tomorrow.
  • Schedule a scan before July 1st since that's when my insurance deductible kicks in again.  since I've met my deductible, I'd like to get it before I have to reach it again.  I have not (for the first time since diagnosis) met my maximum out-of-pocket.
  • Switch insurance to my employee health plan.  My oncologists clinic is now part of our network.  I have no reason not to switch.  I'm very, very excited as this will save me some $$$.
  • I'd really like to go to another couple of Dressage shows.  I'm not sure if I can afford it but I'm going to try.
  • Go on a sister's trip.  Its been too long!  Even if we keep it domestic.  

Check out the TOP TEN Highlights of the Year for Carcinoid-Neuroendocrine Cancer
from The Carcinoid Foundation website:  https://carcinoid.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/10-highlights-of-the-year-2014-for-the-carcinoid-and-neuroendocrine-tumor-community/

1) Gallium 68 Clinical Studies
2) PRRT Clinical Trials
3) FDA Approves Lanreotide for Gastroenteropancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors
4) Immunotherapy for NETs
5) Global NET Patient Survey (yes, I took part in this)
6) NET Conferences
7) NET Cancer Day
8) ONCLive Features Series on pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors
9) Warner Advocacy Award
10) NETs in the News and on Television (link to the BYU men's basketball coach here in Utah w/PNET.


Here's to a safe and healthy 2015!






No comments:

Post a Comment