Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Fake Cancer Claims

Lately there have been 3 instances of people faking a cancer diagnosis (online support groups) either to get money or attention or both.  One was a local girl who bilked people out of thousands of dollars.  She even had her place of employment fooled.  They held a fund raiser for her and raised $16,000!  She also received money from non-profits but they won't say which.  You can read the story here:  Charges-filed-against-utah-woman-accused

Two other instances were on a "community" website.  I won't say which but it is one I go to occasionally and read up on how people are doing.  Two young women.  Diagnosed with two serious cancers. One was kidney and the other was endometrial and colon cancer.  One girl died.  There were over 100 posts on her blog.  IT WAS ALL FAKE!  The other blog just disappeared, however, I also followed her on Instagram.  Then that one disappeared and I received a "follow" request from her again and when I clicked on the link, it was from another person who said this girl was a total fake!  I found out that it was true.  I don't understand people mental frame of mind that can do this.  Don't they realize it hurts all of us who are REAL?  I know some are just plain criminals and want to milk money out of people however they can.  Sociopaths.  Others may be mentally ill and craving attention.

When I googled "fake cancer blogs" to find the article about the girl here in Utah, I was shocked to see how many reports came up of people faking their cancer diagnosis (or their child's) for financial gain (or in one case, breast implants).  Really?

I don't know how you can tell who is real and who is not.  I guess you just take your chances in the online media and communities.  Be careful who you donate too!  Donate to a charitable organization if you can.

Please know this.  I am real.  Yes, I have hair.  No, I have never had chemo but even if I had, not all chemo causes hair loss.  I have scars.  I have pathology reports.  Even though those can probably be fakes pretty easily.  My scars can't.  Just sayin....


3 comments:

  1. I'm on chemo and I have no hair loss. Well, let me correct that. No hair loss because of chemo. Stinking father time took care of that all by himself. :-)

    Thanks for the post....glad you haven't had to endure chemo...it's not nice to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ed! Father time really sucks, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chemo was my biggest fear if tests come back positive for NETs. Glad to hear that's not always the case as well as the hair loss. Phew.

    ReplyDelete