Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Compassionate Allowance Info.

If you are diagnosed with Carcinoid Cancer with distant metastases or are inoperable/unresectable or recurrent, you can file for disability.  This site will list the conditions allowed under the CAL (compassionate allowances).

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionateallowances/

Social Security has an obligation to provide benefits quickly to applicants whose medical conditions are so serious that their conditions obviously meet disability standards.

Compassionate Allowances (CAL) are a way of quickly identifying diseases and other medical conditions that invariably qualify under the Listing of Impairments based on minimal objective medical information. Compassionate Allowances allow Social Security to target the most obviously disabled individuals for allowances based on objective medical information that we can obtain quickly. Compassionate Allowances is not a separate program from the Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income programs.
I found my carcinoid cancer listed under the Small Intestinal Cancer.

Small Intestine Cancer - with distant metastases or inoperable, unresectable or recurrent

http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/conditions.htm

From another blogger:

"I keep copies of all my medical records and took the entire packet to the social security office. This is not required and social security will request all your records. However, I have found that things go much quicker when I do this. I also found the Social Security website very user friendly and the application not very difficult to complete".

I have not filed for disability.  Sometimes I wish I had when I was first diagnosed.  However, I am well enough to continue working and I plan to for as long as I can.  I know that one day I will probably have to file for disability so I try to keep up with the latest info. on how to get it approved quickly.  No one wants to wait months and months to get approved!  I also don't think there is any reason to hire an attorney to do it for you UNLESS you are denied and need to file an appeal!

Just trying to spread the word.  If anyone knows of any other helpful ideas to file and be approved quickly, let me know!  Also, if you know I am mistaken on any of the above, please let me know that too!  I don't want to be giving false information.

4 comments:

  1. Most people who had preexisting conditions used to be turned away be insurance companies. But thanks to the reforms, there's no reason for them to be denied service. Every shared experience helps in spreading the word, which could help give relief to people who need it the most. Thanks!

    Vince Rainey @ DECO Recovery Management

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe they have strict requirements before they can approve your application. Some of these include your working capacity, salary bracket, and severity of your condition. Just like what the other blogger stated, it helps if you keep track of your medical records as proofs to your illness. Good luck!

    Patricia Briggs @ Source Brokerage, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great tip! In applying for a SSDI, it’s really best to keep all your papers, medical results, and other important document that can help you to get your claim approved. This will make the process less stressful on your part. It’s just disheartening that you weren’t able to file the first time you were diagnosed. But you can always do so again; just make sure you have all the requirements on hand this time.

    Brad Post @ Jan Dils

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post it was very helpful.
    I also linked to your website on my links page.
    Thanks again, Ed

    ReplyDelete