Monday, March 4, 2013

Quick Update on Surgery

I can't believe I've been home for almost a week!  It'll be a week tomorrow.  My surgery was not quite as we planned.  Instead of taking my entire right lobe, he cut out the biggest tumors. He did take a few sections from the left lobe that had the biggest tumors and then did RFA on a few.  I was actually pleased with this news.  It has made my recovery much easier and should give me those extra years we were hoping for.

I did on have any drains when I woke up. No NG tube.  I really didn't feel too bad.  They did take me to ICU for one night to keep a close eye on me.  A few days later I asked Dr. Kim if he had any trouble with my blood pressure or "stats" during surgery and he said I was "steady eddie".

When I arrived in pre-op it went a little crazy as I was the last patient they took back (not my fault--I was on time along with 30 other people) and they were ready for me!  I had two anesthesiologists, 3 of Dr. Kim's Fellows, two or three nurses, all doing stuff to me.  IV's, blood, EKG.  I did ask the anesthesiologist if he used "octreotide" during surgery and he said, yes, we will.  I felt much better about things after being assured of that.  I had 3 IV's one in each wrist, one in my elbow and then they put a jugular line in during surgery.

I'll post more details tomorrow.  Just wanted to give a quick update.

No comments:

Post a Comment