Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Healing...with pain

I am almost 5 weeks post surgery.  I've been back to the clinic twice for "wound checks" on my section of incision that opened up.  It is getting smaller.  I can't get any gauze to go beyond the part I can see (so it is closing in).  It does bleed a bit when I pull the gauze out now.  The Doc said this is a good thing.  I'm supposed to loosely pack it now so that it will fill in (heal).  The rest of my incision looks great.  A bit like a zipper.

I quit taking the narcotic pain pills two or so weeks ago and have quit taking the other med except at night (to help me sleep--it is an anti-inflammatory, not a sleep aid).  I only have a few left so I'm going to just take one at night instead of two until they are gone.  I do have pain.  Pulling-sore-ripped muscle kind of pain.  It feels like I just need to stretch and stretch and stretch!  I do stretch a little.  It feels good.  I'm also getting a wrap-around pain if I am on my feet too long (or for longer than 15 minutes).  The pulling pain wraps around to my back and goes down into my hip.  I'm pretty sure this is nothing to worry about.  I'll probably have a lot of weird aches and pains for months (possibly forever if I'm to believe my oncologist). None of this pain is unbearable.  Just uncomfortable.

From my last surgery, I know it will be 12 weeks before I really feel more like myself.  I am getting better every day though.  I'm even working from home now and will be going in for part of the day on Thursday and Friday this week.  Next week as well and I'll build up to full-time.  I cannot afford to stay on short-term disability. 40% pay (mine is 60% less taxes) doesn't cut it when you live paycheck to paycheck!

I just ordered me a I Am A Liver Pillow. I've wanted one since I first saw one but didn't know where to order one from.  I found the website: http://iheartguts.com/shop/  they have all kinds of organs!  T-shirts too!

No comments:

Post a Comment